Friday, December 08, 2006

Burning Up


While I write this, Melbourne's beautiful 24 degree summer day is covered by a foggy haze. There are horrendous bushfires all over the state, and the forecast tomorrow is for 37 degrees, Dry and Smokey. The fire authorities expect some of the fires to join up to create a 100 km fire front.

I've posted before about the drought, and the impact that I saw it having while we were away. Now all I can think about is the people that we met when we were away, and the effect that these fires are having on their lives, their communities and their livelihoods.

All I can do is hope that all of the firefighters, the volunteers and every one trying to protect their homes stays safe and is reunited with their family and community as soon as possible.

*Image sourced from http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/natural_hazards_v2.php3?img_id=14005

No comments: