Thursday, January 11, 2007

Home again ...

and I'm so happy to be here. Tonight I get to sleep in my own bed, and tomorrow I get to drink proper Melbourne coffee again. Most importantly, my laptop and the internet and talking again, and over the next few days I'll publish all the posts I wrote while I was away.

Flying home from Sydney today I saw something I've never seen before. We've got bushfires everywhere in Victoria again, and from the plane, I could see multiple towers of smoke. At the base of each smoke tower, the smoke was tinted a dark red, then orange, and then faded to pink and then grey. As the plane approached Melbourne and landing, we could actually see the masses of red flames. I've never been close to a fire before, and that is as close as I ever want to get. Watches the red tongues flick in and out was strangely compelling, and quite eerie.

The country that wasn't on fire was still so dry - it would be so easy for the whole state to go up in flames. I really hope that those fighting the fires can remain safe, and that includes all of the guest fire fighters from New Zealand, Canada and the US.

1 comment:

velvet said...

Wow, that sounds like quite a fire problem! I hope that they can get it under control soon.

Glad that you got home safely from your trip. :)

-velvet