Saturday, October 07, 2006

What's your favourite album?

While I've been catching up on blogs this morning, and writing the last post, I've had Rage on in the background, and been drinking my coffee. (Oh these young people, they just can't stay focussed on one thing at a time)

The ABC are running another survey this year, this time on Australia's favourite album. Over the last couple of years they have also done books and movies. Books and movies were much easier for me to think of. When it comes to music, there are so many that I love, and I couldn't choose just one. So, in no particular order, here they are.

World Party, Private Revolution
The first few times I heard the first single from this album, Ship of Fools, I hated it. But it grew and grew on me, until I went out and bought the tape of the album. I have listened to it so many times, I'm terrified that I won't be able replace it before it self destructs.

Brassed Off soundtrack
I love a good brass band, always have, and probably always will. One of my favourite songs (and poems), Jerusalem is done particularly well. Ewan McGregor on the cover doesn't hurt either.

Neil Diamond, Hot August Night
This always reminds me of family road trips across the country when I was a kid. My dad played this, I suspect ad nauseum, ad infinitum, every summer when we went interstate to visit my grandparents. Oddly enough, Mum not so much a fan.

Spice Girls, Spiceworld
This is bouncy, cheerful, and the best album to do housework too. Guess what will be on high rotation at my house today.

Skyhooks, Living in the 70's
When I was a kid, I loved the song Horror Movie. When I was about 15, my cousin lent me the whole album and I just loved it. Apparently I'm not cool, and was told that a lot when I listened to it, but I don't care, I just loved it. They sang about places I knew, and I loved that.

Uncanny X-Men, 'Cos Life Hurts
Work, 50 years, Yoko, Best Looking Guy in the Factory. Soundtrack of my early teen years (see Brian Mannix). I only recently discovered that it was produced by Red Symons of Skyhooks, who is also my compulsory morning radio listening.

Tony O'Connor, Rainforest Magic
I listened to this every night when I was going to sleep in year 12. A 7 track cd, I would always find myself falling asleep just after the thunderstorm in track 6.

Triple J Hottest 100, volumes 6 and 7
The soundtrack to being 24 and 25, some of the best times of my life, and some of the best friendships formed.

Garbage, Beautifulgarbage
Singalong, shoutalong songs, and the beautiful Can't Cry These Tears

Beck, Midnite Vultures
Road trips with with a friend I'm not as close to anymore, singing along, and dancing around the office with my friends.

Shrek, Soundtrack
Fun, bouncy, singalong songs, memories of my hysterical laughter in the cinema when The Proclaimers I'm on my way started, and the heartstoppingly beautiful cover of Hallelujah by Rufus Wainwright.

Live songs, Good News week tapes, volume 2
Paul McDermott's voice, some of the most unexpected duets, and the gorgeous Gadflys. More happy memories.

The Edge, Ultimate Rock CD
A compilation from a radio station, Layla, Patti Smith, Marvin Gaye, Jimi Hendrix. Loved the mix for a long time, but will always associate it with helping a very good friend paint his house, varnish his new kitchen benches, and scooting around sanding back the skirting boards.

Mad about the Boy, songs known from the TV commercials
A 22nd birthday present from an old friend. Dinah Washington, Louis Armstrong, Nina Simone, Fontella Bass, Muddy Waters, and the unexpected amusement of the The New Seekers wanting to teach the world to sing. I love to listen to this when I'm being lazy with the Sunday papers.

Oops, this was going to be a short post, but I didn't register just how much music is part of my life. Just looking over the list, I don't have a favourite album from the 2 years that I ate, slept and breathed music volunteering at a radio station. I think that in those years the music that I spent my time with was more singles, the quick easy disposable stuff - Urban Cookie Collective, Dr Alban, Culture Beat, Snow, Ace of Bass.

And speaking of music, here is something I saw yesterday - the rider for Iggy Pop's tour.

2 comments:

Jellyhead said...

I have lots of favourite songs, but fave albums is more tricky.

I do love the Buena Vista Social Club album. Also the soundtrack for 'Moulin Rouge', and for 'Walk the Line'. All quite different music but irresistable for various reasons.

I haven't bopped to Spice Girls to do housework but I reckon it would do the trick!

Enoch said...

Thank you for your article, really effective piece of writing.
Shrimp recipes