Sunday, August 06, 2006

Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end

I've spent a really fun day today wandering around the TV50 exhibition at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image in at Fed Square. I have to confess that this is the first time I've ever been to Fed Square - I'm sure that I can come up with heaps of excuses, but reality is that I just never got around to it.

I had an absolute ball - and I'm definitely going to head into ACMI for more exhibitions and events. I found myself getting all goosebumpy at some of the news footage of events that have happened 50 years ago. I really loved the way that they set the exhibition out. Along one wall they had floor to ceiling televisions - metres of them. They broke the exhibits up alphabetically. A for Advertisements, all the way through to Z for Zoned out. Each section had video showing on different televisions, all relevant to that topic. It was fantastic seeing some of the old ads, and Rita the Eta Eater. Got a bit of a shock watching Daphne dying on Neighbours again and again on the wall of televisions. Greg Fleet in his televisual nasty moment. They had a section for the future of television and the media. It was mainly computers - one set on YouTube that you could search for clips, one with an installation done using Flash - a vision of 2015. Another one was set up with BigPond to download TV or movies on demand. Now I know why I'm not using BigPond - slow, painful and heaps of buffering. Vile.

Just one thing marred the experience for me, and I know that I'm being super picky. Poor Bush Tucker Man, Les Hiddins had his name spelt Les Hindes, Les Hiddens. Channel 9 might want to up the PR for Jamie Durie, known to ACMI as Jamie Dury. Little things, but they make me question just how much attention to detail is being paid when the exhibition is being put together.

I'd love to go back and spend more time just wandering through. Just for my amusement, I'm going to count how many sections Kylie Minogue appears or gets mentioned in. She was everywhere.

No comments: