Saturday, August 05, 2006

We're all going on a summer holiday

I wish - it is neither summer, nor do I have holidays booked.

I've been thinking a lot this week about holidays, and just how badly I seem to need one. This time 2 years ago I had just returned from 10 magical days in Fiji. We stayed at the Warwick resort, and used it as a base to explore parts of the main island, and spent one wonderful day visiting one of the islands, and travelling on the catamaran around the other islands. I always feel so truly happy when I am in and around water, so to me, that was a blissful day. Is it any wonder that I still have a photo from that trip as the wallpaper on my laptop.


This time last year, I was preparing to spend 10 days in the Cook Islands. I fell in love with the country and the people, and I cannot wait to return. Again, being surrounded by water just makes me so happy. I think my soul was really satisfied by having water all around me, and yet, being able to look at the centre of the island and see jungly mountains.


Am I going away again this year? I don't know, but I really hope so. I'm having dinner with my travel buddy tonight and we will see what we can work out. I can hear people saying that it doesn't matter if my travel buddy and I can go together or not, I should just go. Sounds good, but I do feel safer when there are the 2 of us, and we complement each other well. We talked about why it works so well for us a couple of weeks ago, and decided that it is because we both give each other space to go off and explore independently, and to do our own thing, but we do encourage each other to try things outside our comfort zone too. We also know that we each have things that are non negotiable - for me, it is essential to spend a couple of days unwinding and resting before doing anything, and for him, he needs to go and sightsee. I always make sure that I have at least three days off work before we leave, so that my unwinding has already started, and I've had time to get organised without being a headless chook. That way - 2 happy travellers, very few fights, or hurt feelings. All good.

1 comment:

Eustace said...

This will not succeed in reality, that is what I think.
gmc dealer parts | diphenhydramine for dogs | photography classes online